The Electoral Roll

What is the Electoral Roll?

The Electoral Roll is our church register of electors. In the same way that being on the civic Electoral Roll allows you to vote in parliamentary and local elections, joining St. Christopher’s Electoral Roll means that you can vote on Church matters, attend the Annual Parochial Church Meeting (APCM) and stand for election to the Parish Leadership Team (Parochial Church Council), who are responsible for the running of St. Christopher’s.

Do I have to join?

You can be part of St. Christopher’s congregation without being registered on the electoral roll; it does not entail signing up to any additional commitments. However, the electoral roll is an indicator of the strength and health of the church.

Joining the Roll is compulsory if you wish to:

  • Stand for election to the Parish Leadership Team (PCC) or other synodical council (such as the Deanery, Diocesan or General Synod)
  • Attend the Annual Parochial Church Meeting (APCM) and participate in voting within this meeting.

Do I qualify for the Electoral Roll?

To apply for the Electoral Roll, you must meet ALL the following conditions:

  • You must be aged 16 or over (though you can apply in the year you become 16 and your name will be entered once your birth date has passed).
  • You must be baptised.
  • You must be a member of the Church of England and EITHER live in the parish OR have attended a church in the parish regularly for at least 6 months.

The phrase “member of the Church of England” requires further explanation:

  • Member of the Church of England
    Member of a Church in communion with the Church of England. The only Churches at present in communion with the Church of England are other Anglican Churches (excepting the so-called Anglican continuing Churches in North America) and some other foreign churches.
  • Member of a Church not in communion with the Church of England but which subscribes to the doctrine of the Holy Trinity; you must be prepared to also declare yourself a member of the Church of England. This category includes other Protestant denominations such as Moravian, Methodist, Presbyterian and Baptist, as well as Roman Catholic, URC, Russian/Greek Orthodox etc.
  • If you are a parish resident you do not have to actually attend the Church of which you consider yourself a member; but if you live outside the parish, the 6 months’ regular attendance at a church inside the parish is a requirement.

NOTE: you can be on the Electoral Roll of more than one Church, but you can only serve on the PCC of one Church at a time.

If you would like to be added to St. Christopher’s Electoral Roll, please complete an Electoral Roll application form and return it to the Parish Leadership Team Secretary